Sunday, September 16, 2007

Angels On My Mattress

I have the world's worst bed. Even when I lived in Japan and slept on the floor on a 1" thick futon it was no worse than sleeping in my queen-sized bed.

Backstory: When my ex and I split up 6 years ago he insisted on taking the bed because he was that kind of upstanding guy. I slept on the futon sofa for 6 months until I received my $235 State of Georgia tax refund in May. I immediately went to the Mattress King store and purchased the cheapest queen-sized bed I could find, for $250. Needless to say it was not anything remotely resembling a quality bed and 6 years later it's ready for Goodwill. However, with the upcoming stint in South America I see no reason to purchase a new bed at this time. When I finally do I want the best bed I can possibly afford and I want to bring it into a bedroom that has been freshly painted (and hopefully carpeted, if not hardwood) and I want to put it on a frame with a white iron headboard. If I'm going to be sanding and scraping and painting I don't want to be dealing with doing it around the best bed I can possibly afford.

So anyway. I have done countless things to try to make my bed more comfortable. I started with your average mattress pad. A year later when I could afford it (things were extremely tight back then folks - I considered kleenex to be a luxury item) I purchased one of those foam egg crate toppers to put on top of the mattress pad. A bit of an improvement but still not the heaven that bed should be. A few years ago I found a feather mattress-topper on overstock.com and put THAT on top of the egg crate foam thing. So now I have 3 mattress toppers and I'm still waking up in the middle of the night with lower back pain.

Last weekend I was reading one of my regular blogs and got a tip that Amazon.com had a memory foam mattress topper on incredible sale - any size for $39-something. People. I have priced these things in stores all over Atlanta and have never seen one for less than $130. I never bought because why spend $130 to improve a $250 bed? Why not suffer and save that $130 and instead of buying a new $700 bed splurge on an $830 bed? When I saw this very affordable memory foam topper I immediately bought it. I tracked it all the way from Palo Alto CA and when it was delivered I immediately put it on my shit bed.

IT IS QUITE SIMPLY THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER EVER EVER SPENT MONEY ON!

I am now sleeping in the arms of Jesus Himself.

Last night it finally dipped down into the high 50's and I had to get an extra blanket for the bed so today when I changed the sheets I pulled my space-bagged down comforter out of the closet and put it on the bed. It's only now just noon and all I can think about is getting in bed tonight! Maybe I'll take a nap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't help laughing. You sounded like the Princess and the Pea... lol

Nevertheless, I understand your feelings. For obvious reason, I have a very firm mattress and I am always trying to find a way to make it a little more comfy.

How is Phoebe doing?

Liz
**************