Thursday, May 17, 2007

Sam da boss and other related crap

I haven't posted about this yet. My former boss Rasmus took a vacation to Denmark to visit his family back in March and called me from Europe
early one morning to tell me he had decided to resign. For about the 40th time since I started working at this company almost 4 1/2 years ago I went back and updated my resume. If nothing else I can say working at this company has kept my resume fresh!

The first thing that came to my mind when Rasmus called was that Sam, my former supervisor, was the only person who was A) experienced enough to step into the role and B) in a place where he COULD ACTUALLY step into the role. Within a couple of weeks he was already taking over the responsibilities and yesterday he became official!

This is a great situation because although Sam is, like, maybe 12 years younger than me he has been my mentor in this business. He has been in it from the start of his career and I was a freaking actress/director for godssakes. He took me under his wing from the start and has been the best teacher. He and Gerard are the only two who have bothered to empower me and I am still taking baby steps but think my wings are developing. S-L-O-W-L-Y. Also it is great because we get along really well which might not be a prerequisite for normal business activities but when you're in a start up situation for an airline you have to be able to blow off steam with at least one person you work with and I can get on IM and correct Sam's grammar and call him a douchebag and an asshole and HR doesn't receive a complaint. Basically I think this is because Sam is a total pussy and also an equal in calling people names. He can throw it right back at me. It works and it's comfortable and assuring and just plain fun. (Sam I hope you're laughing reading this. If not you can take a flying leap . . . )

Anyway, he came to town Wednesday (he is based in another state) and we've been putting together the most mind-numbing test script for a new warehouse interface and this is dry and dull stuff folks but it has been the most fun for me. Totally we have been getting to a point where we stare at each other and the laptop screen and say "Uhhhmmmm" for about 30 minutes before we get back on track. We seem to always be able to get back on track. Somehow we have managed to get it done. And once again I have learned so much in the past few days.

Creative problem solving is my passion. This week it seems I am indulging my passion and I am elated!

No comments: