Saturday, May 27, 2006

Lord God Have Mercy

May 15 it was so chilly here in Atlanta that I wore a cardigan sweater to work. Today, less than two weeks later, it is now HOT!

All week I have made it my goal to come home and work for a couple or few hours in the yard cutting back overgrowth and hauling brush and trash to the street. Starting Monday it became a 2 shower per day time of the year for me. It's hot out there folks, and I love it.

I am not an AC kind of gal. It takes some pretty drastic temps to force me to close up the house and turn on the AC. I don't like feeling shut in. Shut in is for the winter. So my windows are open until I am tremendously uncomfortable. Last night I became tremendously uncomfortable as the temp in my house was 85 at 8 pm. I turned on the AC for the first time since I was here last August, closed all the windows, and sat back to enjoy. An hour later I had sweat running down my face and thought I was going to suffocate. In an hour the temp in the house went down .2%! I turned it off and opened the windows and tried to sleep.

This morning I got up at 7 and called an AC service place. They can come out Wednesday afternoon. So I have 4 days of sweltering heat to deal with before I write a humongous check so I can be cool this summer. I WILL crawl under the house tomorrow and press a few button to see if this is a "reset" thing but I fear my compressor is gone (cha-ching cha-ching). Call the next four days 4 shower days, just to cool off.

In the meantime I am pressure washing my house and patio and driveway. It amazes me how filthy it all gets and despite the fact that I am now only halfway done and already crippled I am excited to wake up tomorrow and get it finished off! By God when I return to Japan I want to leave this place looking GREAT and return to it still looking GREAT! I know I will sleep well tonight.

Happy Memorial day to my US friends and happy weekend to all others!

No comments: